On How to Eradicate Homelessness Essay (Speech)
Introduction, causes of homelessness, homelessness associated with hunger, how to eradicate homelessness, works cited.
The ugly state of homelessness is present and clearly visible in every street in most parts of the United States. It is devastating to see the homeless people trying to survive the hard life surviving the harsh weather conditions. Many people who have never had a firsthand experience would assume that only the alcoholics, drug addicts and the poor are the homeless. This is unlike what is reality. Anyone can be homeless despite a person’s class, level of education and sanity. Homelessness is a national catastrophe that should be well addressed to help in eradicating in society.
Many times homelessness has been misinterpreted to be an experience that happens to wicked and evil people. The notion that society has adopted is that homelessness happens to people who have no vision and dreams in life. The truth of the matter is that majority of the homeless are people with dreams, ambitions and desire to succeed. The barriers are the constraints that surround them making it impossible for them to rise up go beyond their limits. Society has played a big role in neglecting and despising the homeless. Society fails to understand that the homeless need care, support, and nurturing.
Understanding homelessness is very important when working to eradicate it in our society. This enables a person who has not been in this situation to understand how it feels to lack a place to call home. The general understanding is that homelessness is brought by negligence and through events that could have been prevented (Urban Institute). This is not true as there are people who have jobs, are educated, and with stable families but still are homeless. Hence, the biggest reason to understand homelessness and the best way possible to eradicate if not minimize the rate it’s in the country.
There are many causes of homelessness. According to the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, paucity has been the key issue that has rendered many families to the street. There are many families that have succumbed to life on the street due to lack. With the shortage of job opportunities and resources, many families cannot afford housing facilities (Maide). Domestic violence has been a factor that leads to homelessness. The violence that erupts in a home can result in the destruction of properties and separations. There are many broken families who are on the run with no place to call home. Eviction from homes to pave way for the construction of other facilities has been a factor that has contributed to homelessness. Often, families have been evicted from houses without a proper settlement plan. These families are left stranded with nowhere to go.
Teenage homelessness is widespread. Young girls run from their homes the minute they realize they are pregnant. They lack a place to live and they resolve to live on the street. Teenagers are also at risk of being homeless when they fall victim to vices like drug addictions and immorality. They tend to move out of their homestead to live in the street where they could easily access their hobbies. The other major factors that have contributed to homeliness are family disputes, expenses incurred in a divorce procedure, and the death of a loved one (Brendan).
Another aspect that has contributed to homelessness is the natural disaster. These disasters are beyond humanity and cannot be prevented yet they have rendered many homeless. The devastating hurricane Katrina is a good example where many families were left with no place to call home. The destruction of housing was rampant. The sight of young children, mothers and elderly people with no shelter was heartbreaking. These natural calamities cannot be prevented, unlike the other factors that lead to homelessness (Sommer).
Homelessness is closely associated with hunger, crime, child mortality and death (Bredan). When people are living in the street it is very hard for them to acquire other basic needs such as food and clothing. Young mothers on the street cannot be able to shield their young children from the harsh weather conditions. As a result, child mortality is at a high rate for the homeless. Diseases are easily spread among the homeless people in the street. Some become sick due to the unfavorable weather conditions cause deaths to the individuals in the street. A homeless person in the street has the highest chance of getting involved in an accident more than a person safely tacked in the house. Crime is rampant as the homeless opt to do anything to survive.
There is a need for society, government, and well-wishers to team up to help stamp out homelessness in the United States. This can be achieved by the provision of shelter homes for those hit by natural disasters like hurricanes, tornados and floods. The poor people in society should be given an opportunity to own a home (Burt, Carpenter and Hall). This can be attained by the provision of cheap houses that they can afford. It is very hard to get a house that is not expensive that suits an average person. The government should help in the construction of cheap but comfortable homes and place a fee that the poor in society can afford.
The lack of education which plays a bigger role in homelessness should be well tackled. More should be done to end ignorance on youths and adults by working with the cooperation that helps to end poverty. Such organizations include the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty. This one educates and provides homes for the poor in society. Another organization is the National Alliance to End Homelessness. This organization works hand in hand with other Nongovernmental organizations to eliminate homelessness in the country.
It is evident that some churches are working very hard to eradicate homelessness. These churches include the Salvation Army and Catholics. The churches help in building shelters for the homeless while providing them with basic needs. The churches although working all round the clock cannot be able to manage the overwhelming number of the homeless in society. There is a need therefore for every individual to work together and give aid to this organization (Bredan). It is wise to give the organization any aid possible than offering money to a homeless person who in turn uses the money to buy drugs.
In conclusion, homelessness is a national disaster that should be tackled quickly possible before it goes out of hand. It is wiser to understand that homelessness is not reserved for a particular group of people. Anyone can be homeless and therefore measures to end homelessness need to be taken care of by all people. Giving the homeless people on the street money and food are not enough. Efforts are needed to ensure that every human being has a roof on top of their head. By understanding the effects of homelessness the society would understand that what the homeless need is care, education and nurturing. A little help can go a long way to help the homeless.
Bredan, Coyne. New Report Shows Increase in Urban Hunger, Homelessness. 2005. Web.
Burt, Martha, R., Jenneth, Carpenter, and Sam Hall. Strategies for improving Homeless People’s Access to Mainstream Benefits and Services. 2010. Web.
Maide, Jeff. Top Causes of Homelessness in America. EzineArticles. 2010. Web.
Sommer, Heidi. Homelessness in Urban America: A Review of the Literature . 2001. Web.
Urban Institute . A New Look at Homelessness in America. 2000. Web.
- Chicago (A-D)
- Chicago (N-B)
IvyPanda. (2022, August 25). On How to Eradicate Homelessness. https://ivypanda.com/essays/persuasive-speech-on-homelessness/
"On How to Eradicate Homelessness." IvyPanda , 25 Aug. 2022, ivypanda.com/essays/persuasive-speech-on-homelessness/.
IvyPanda . (2022) 'On How to Eradicate Homelessness'. 25 August.
IvyPanda . 2022. "On How to Eradicate Homelessness." August 25, 2022. https://ivypanda.com/essays/persuasive-speech-on-homelessness/.
1. IvyPanda . "On How to Eradicate Homelessness." August 25, 2022. https://ivypanda.com/essays/persuasive-speech-on-homelessness/.
IvyPanda . "On How to Eradicate Homelessness." August 25, 2022. https://ivypanda.com/essays/persuasive-speech-on-homelessness/.
- Homelessness as the Social Phenomenon
- Public Administration: Homeless in Phoenix
- Homelessness in the United States
- Homelessness and its Solutions
- The Causes and Impacts of Homelessness
- Approaching Homelessness in America
- The Homeless in Our Community
- Homelessness in the US
- Mumbai Great Problem: Homelessness Problem in Cities
- Homelessness as a Global Social Issue
- Poverty in America: A Paradox
- Economic Crisis Effects on Individuals and Society
- War and Poverty Connection in Developing Countries
- Poverty in United States. Facts and Causes
- Social Security Strategies Reform Plan
Providing a Path to Stable Housing: An Informative Speech Outline on Addressing Homelessness
Learn the art of speech delivery with our customizable Informative Speech Outline. Download now for free and deliver a powerful speech on Homelessness and Housing.
Delivering an informative speech about homelessness and housing is an excellent way to spread awareness about an issue that affects millions of people worldwide. Your speech can be a powerful tool to generate empathy and raise awareness about the complex issues surrounding homelessness while pointing out actions we can take to help end it. To make your speech effective, it is essential to have a well-organized informative speech outline. Let's dive into the fundamental components that make up this outline!
- Informative Speech Outline
The informative speech outline helps you convey content in an organized and easy-to-understand way. It consists of three main elements:
- Introduction: It is the opening section of your speech, where you introduce your topic, grab the audience's attention, and present your thesis.
- Body: This is the central part of your speech, where you deliver your message with supporting evidence and statistics. You can divide the body into sections, each containing a subtopic and supporting arguments that relate to your thesis.
- Conclusion: It is the closing section of your speech. You summarize the key points, restate the thesis, and leave the audience with a clear call to action.
Homelessness and Housing
Here is a sample informative speech outline that focuses on homelessness and housing:
- Attention-grabbing opening statement about the scope of homelessness
- Provide background information on homelessness and the impacts it has on society
- Present your thesis statement
- Section 1: Understanding Homelessness
- Define homelessness
- Present the latest research and statistics on homelessness in the US (or your specific country or region)
- Explain the causes of homelessness (such as poverty, unemployment, domestic violence, mental illness, drug and alcohol addiction, etc.)
- Section 2: Challenges of Homelessness
- Highlight the challenges that come with being homeless, such as access to basic necessities like clean water, food, and health care
- Talk about the impact of homelessness on mental health, family structures, and social relationships
- Section 3: Solutions to Homelessness
- Describe the solutions and strategies that can help solve homelessness, such as increasing affordable housing, providing financial assistance, job training, and education programs, and addressing underlying issues such as mental health and addiction
- Include examples of successful initiatives or programs that have helped address homelessness
- Recap your thesis statement and the key points from the body of the speech
- Provide a call to action, urging the audience to get involved and help address homelessness
- Closing statement
Get Your Informative Speech Outline
If you want to deliver an impactful speech about homelessness and housing, a well-written informative speech outline is a must-have! At BizzLibrary.com, we offer a wide range of free document templates, including a professionally designed informative speech outline in DOCX format. Visit BizzLibrary.com today, download your informative speech outline, and create a memorable speech that aims to create a positive impact.
Is the content above helpfull?
Thanks for letting us know!
Cordie Sanford (6/28/2023) - AUS
Thank you for this!!
Our Latest Blog
- The Importance of Vehicle Inspections in Rent-to-Own Car Agreements
- Setting Up Your E-mail Marketing for Your Business: The Blueprint to Skyrocketing Engagement and Sales
- The Power of Document Templates: Enhancing Efficiency and Streamlining Workflows
- Writing a Great Resume: Tips from a Professional Resume Writer
We are standing by to assist you. Please keep in mind we are not licensed attorneys and cannot address any legal related questions.
- Chat Online
- Email Send a message
You May Also Like
Social Event Program Layout
Organize Your Home Maintenance with our New Template
Fitness Participation Certificate
Create Stunning Wingding Translations | Wingdings Translator Template
Professional Minimalist Resume Template with Cover Letter - Enhance your job search
Wingdings Translator Template – Convert Wingdings Symbols with Ease
Church Leadership Qualities Example
Teaching Curriculum Vitae Layout
Free Blank Chore
Important Notice: School Fees Will Increase in April – Read Our Price Increase Letter
Wedding Budget Spreadsheet Template Dsrrddttt
Design Work Order Form
Sample Invoice Cover Letter Template
Implementation Action Plan Template - Streamline Your Project Execution
Sample Property Lease Agreement TemplateFree Download
Fresher Professional Resume Sample